Opinion Piece: College Should be Free!

Imagine working your whole high school career to go to your dream college like Harvard University or even Stanford University, but the cost of tuition is standing in your way.  Not a lot of high school students have enough money to even afford the living expenses, so they have to go to a smaller community college. “Over 39% of adults and young people join workforces because of how expensive it is to go to college and take classes.” Since the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment requires that when a state establishes a public school system (as in Texas), no child living in that state may be denied equal access to schooling. Why doesn’t this apply to colleges and life outside of high school when trying to further your education? For this reason, college should be free!

One of the reasons why I think college should be free is it would improve society. When people are more educated, they can solve problems better. This means that society can progress at a faster rate. Additionally, people with education can better understand the history of their society, and its current economic conditions. As such, they may be more inclined to participate in politics and want to improve their country. Also, when more people have access to a college education, the number of employable people for high-skilled jobs increases. This means that more people will join the workforce, which could help lessen the wealth gap between the upper, middle, and lower classes.

Secondly it widens workforce when people are going to school for their dream job or interest in certain things they are more likely to reach that, people would have jobs and know what there doing and have more options on what they want to do with their because they went to school and worked hard for it.

Thirdly, a boosted economy. When students graduate with debt, they will likely continue to add to their debt with interest. As such, it can take many years before they manage to dig themselves out of debt that only seems to keep growing. In the meantime, this delays spending on such things as buying a house or a car. Which can make it very stressful and hard to live when you have to worry about debt and being denied certain things because of it. Can you imagine being in debt because you want to go to school and work to get a better paying job so you can provide for yourself and your family?

Lastly, more focus on their studies. When students are not worried about money, they can focus better on their studies. Even when students have loans and financial aid, they may find themselves stuck worrying about how they will have to pay them back in the future. This added stress can negatively impact their focus during the time when they are supposed to be learning. It should already be free and available for everyone who wants it, a better future and opportunities to get somewhere in life.

Just like Oprah Winfrey said, “Education is the key to unlocking the world. It is the passport to freedom.” What she was referring to is that education gives us all the knowledge we need. It’s a key that opens doors and opportunities to the world. If we are educated, then wherever we go, or whatever we do, we can do it.