The New Coach In Town!

As many many know, we have been missing a very important spot on the Itasca High School staff. A new and improved coach is now taking on the role of high school credit recovery teacher/coach.

Jeffrey Lyn Oliver, mainly  known as Coach Oliver, is no stranger to public school coaching. He hopes he can make an impact on Itasca’s athletic program for many years to come. Originally introduced to this position by a staff member Coach Torres, Coach Oliver stated, “Coach Torres and I have a close relationship, so when I got offered the job it was a no brainer”. Coach Oliver grew up in Waco, so he would drive past Itasca all the time. Most would be unfamiliar with Itasca, but not Coach Oliver he graduated high school in China Spring, then went on to further his education at UMHB (University of Mary Hardin-Baylor) in Belton Texas. After UMHB he went to get his masters at Lamar University in Beaumont Texas.

When I asked him how others describe you? He stated “big, scary, and loyal”, no surprise there, as I could tell from that interview, he is just those things! One of his best accomplishments in his previous occupations was coordinating a home held bible study group for the kids at his old school. He said it was a big thing to him because it was when COVID first started, it gave them a reason to get out of the house and help guide them through this difficult time in their lives.

Where does he see himself in three years? He jokingly stated that if Coach Torres leaves then the Athletic Director here at Itasca High School. He is insure that Itasca is the right place to be for him and his family. Coach Oliver wants to make a difference, that’s the kind of person he is. Only one thing out of the things he said were true that described him- not that he was scary, but that he is loyal, and that is exactly what we need at Itasca High School.