The Student News Site of Itasca High School. Proudly serving Itasca the "Big, Little" town since 1997.

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

Top 10 Horror Movies To Watch This Halloween!

With Halloween right around the corner, people everywhere have started watching scary movies. However, with the sheer vastness of streaming services, it can be tricky to decide what to watch. Here are a few classic horror films I would recommend watching this Halloween season. 

(Please note: some of these films may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised.)

Halloween (1978)

John Carpenter’s cult classic debut film is the perfect watch for Halloween night. Despite its age, Halloween holds up unbelievably well, and went on to shape the horror genre as we know it today.

The Changeling (1980)

The Changeling is an often overlooked horror film of the early 1980’s, however it is without a doubt one of the creepiest films of all time. Bleak, disturbing, and effective, The Changeling is definitely worth checking out this Halloween season.

The Exorcist (1973)

Many people see The Exorcist as a simple movie about a possessed little girl, however it is far more complex than that. The possession of Rachel is really a catalyst for a harsh, well-made drama that has themes of faith, trust, and the effects trauma can have on people. 

The Shining (1980)

Stanley Kubrick was easily one of the most legendary and greatest filmmakers of all time, and his only true horror film, The Shining, is usually seen as one of the greatest of all time. It has incredible acting, cinematography, and music, along with ambiguous plot threads and scenes that will keep the audience guessing long after the credits roll.

The Evil Dead (1981)

Sam Raimi’s first film is often seen as one of his best, despite the film being made quickly and as cheaply as possible. Low-budget 1980’s horror at it’s finest.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre may seem like a brutal slasher on the surface, however the film has multiple different deeper meanings that are often overlooked in the media. 

Pieces (1982)

It may be poorly made, but Pieces is a fun, tightly paced horror film with amusing practical effects and a stereotypical slasher plotline. Despite these cheap, humorous elements, Pieces is by no means a film for kids. 

Child’s Play (1988)

Chucky has become a staple of pop culture, and it all started with Child’s Play. It may feature some poor practical effects, but it is still a slick, sharp horror film.

Suspiria (1977)

Dario Argento is known best for his films in the Giallo genre, and Suspiria is a nice change of pace for the director. It’s stylish, creepy, and creates a mysterious, vibrant aesthetic that suits the story perfectly. 

House (1977) 

House (also known as Hausu) may be one of the most bizarre, nonsensical films of all time, but it is still a fun time and a great horror/comedy from Japan.

Still looking for more? Here are some other noteworthy titles that didn’t quite make the list:

Alien (1979)

Basket Case (1982)

Carrie (1976)

Friday the 13th (1980)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Psycho (1960)

Scream (1996)

Torso (1973)

Tourist Trap (1979)