The Student News Site of Itasca High School. Proudly serving Itasca the "Big, Little" town since 1997.

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

There Will Be Blood – film review

“There Will Be Blood,” directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, stands as a monumental achievement in contemporary cinema, blending impeccable craftsmanship, mesmerizing performances, and profound thematic exploration. Released in 2007, the film is an adaptation of Upton Sinclair’s novel “Oil!” and follows the ruthless oilman Daniel Plainview as he navigates the early 20th-century American oil boom.

At the heart of the film lies Daniel Day-Lewis’s towering performance as Daniel Plainview, a man driven by unbridled ambition and a voracious thirst for wealth and power. Day-Lewis’s portrayal is nothing short of mesmerizing, capturing Plainview’s complex psyche with chilling authenticity. His commanding presence dominates every frame, drawing viewers into the dark recesses of Plainview’s soul.

Anderson’s direction is equally remarkable, marked by his trademark visual flair and meticulous attention to detail. The film’s cinematography, courtesy of Robert Elswit, is breathtaking, capturing the vast, desolate landscapes of the American West with haunting beauty. Anderson’s use of long takes and sweeping camera movements creates a sense of grandeur and scale, immersing viewers in the world of oil drilling and its inherent dangers.

In addition to its thematic depth and powerhouse performances, “There Will Be Blood” boasts a haunting score by Jonny Greenwood, which adds an additional layer of intensity and unease to the proceedings. Greenwood’s dissonant compositions perfectly complement the film’s bleak tone, further immersing viewers in its world of greed and exploitation.

In conclusion, “There Will Be Blood” is a masterful work of cinema that continues to resonate with audiences long after its release. With its unforgettable performances, stunning visuals, and thought-provoking themes, it stands as a testament to the power of filmmaking to explore the darkest corners of the human experience.