The Student News Site of Itasca High School. Proudly serving Itasca the "Big, Little" town since 1997.

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

Top 5 Italian Movies, part 2

The last time I did a list of Italian films, they were all classical, polished films highly regarded by many. This time, we’ll take a look at some of the more rough around the edges, cheaper films (specifically those in the Spaghetti Western or Giallo genres). Here are five more picks for some of the best films Italy has to offer. (due to my previous articles including The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and The Great Silence, they will not be included on this list.) 

1. Django (1966) (Western/Spaghetti Western) 

Django is the spaghetti western genre at its simplest, and most effective. Similar films rely very little on an actual story, and more on action sequences. Django has both, and with the unique camera work and score, it makes for a memorable and entertaining watch.

2. Day of Anger (1967) (Western/Spaghetti Western)

Career-best performances from both Giuliano Gemma and Lee Van Cleef give Day of Anger a sense of life heightened by the character arcs and overall story. Breathtaking visuals and an array of twists and turns make Day of Anger one of the best Italian westerns of all time. 

3. The Big Gundown (1966) (Western) 

Another great performance from Lee Van Cleef, this time teamed up with the likes of Thomas Milian, who is always a pleasure to watch. Another thrilling story with unexpected moments and unpredictable twists, mixed with some of the best action the genre has to offer. The three-way standoff at the end of the film is worth the price of admission alone, featuring a score that would later be used in Quentin Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds.

4. The Return of Ringo (1965) (Western/Drama)

A Pistol for Ringo may have made the character of Ringo famous, but The Return of Ringo gave him depth and a character arc that is fascinating to see. The story unfolds in a slow-burn way, which is not commonly seen in these types of films. The Return of Ringo also features some of the best music of the genre, and every track is used to its full potential with the scenes around it.

5. Deep Red (1975) (Horror/Thriller)

Suspiria may be Dario Argento’s most famous film, but Deep Red has a realistic charm about it that makes it more deceiving and even scarier. Great practical effects and a storyline full of unexpected developments makes Deep Red one of the best Italian horror films of all time.