The Student News Site of Itasca High School. Proudly serving Itasca the "Big, Little" town since 1997.

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

The College Dropout, 20 Years Later

In honor of it’s 20th anniversary, it’s time to take a look at Kanye West’s first album The College Dropout, and see how well it has aged over the years. The College Dropout isn’t just an album, it’s a cultural phenomenon. It re-shaped the landscape of hip-hop, and challenged the conventions of the genre. Released on February 10th 2004, this debut album served as Kanye’s artistic manifesto, and showcased his many talents as a rapper, storyteller, producer, etc.

At it’s core, The College Dropout is a reflection of Kanye’s own experiences and struggles. This is seen in tracks like “We Don’t Care,” where he oppenly discusses the societal pressures involving drugs, to “Jesus Walks,” a spiritual anthem tackling issues of faith and redemption. Kanye’s lyrics are deeply personal, while also being universally relatable. He seamlessly weaves themes of race, class, and identity together, which creates a tapestry of narratives that apply to anyone, regardless of their situation.

Musically, The College Dropout is a masterclass in blurring genres and innovation. Kanye’s style of production is characterized best by his use of soulful samples, lush instrumentation, intricate beats, etc. Songs like “Spaceship” and “Slow Jamz” shows his ability to blend sounds of R&B, soul, and gospel, creating songs that are timeless and groundbreaking.

The College Dropout had a profound impact on the music industry as a whole, as it paved the way for a new generation of artists. It’s influence can be seen in the work of countless other producers, musicians, and more who continue to draw influence from Kanye’s boldness and creativity.

In conclusion, The College Dropout stands out as a seminal and important piece of hip-hop history, not only for it’s groundbreaking songs, but also for it’s fearlessness and exploration of complicated themes and it’s enduring legacy. To this day it remains a testament to the power of art to inspire and provoke thought.