The Student News Site of Itasca High School. Proudly serving Itasca the "Big, Little" town since 1997.

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

The Paw Print Press

Top 5 Movies of the 2000’s

Despite the fact that the 1990’s had just ended, films of the 2000’s continued to be influenced by the great works from the previous decade. Here are a few choices of some of my favorite films made between 2000 and 2009.

(Due to my previous discussions of them, films like Fantastic Mr. Fox and Grindhouse will not be included on this list.)

1. Daddy Longlegs (2009) (Drama/Indie film)

The Safdie brother’s first film remains one of the greatest independent films of all time, and arguably their most personal. Based on childhood memories of the directors’ father, Daddy Longlegs is a heartwarming and emotional film you don’t want to miss. 

2. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) (Comedy/Adventure)

Wes Anderson’s 4th film might not have been a critical success upon its release, but it has grown a fanbase of its own nearly 20 years after its release. Incredible music and acting surrounded by a colorful, vibrant world make The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou an absolute joy to watch. 

3. Inglorious Basterds (2009) (War/Action)

Groundbreaking lead performances across the board, clever dialogue only Tarrantino himself could have written, and an ending unlike an ending unlike any other, Inglorious Basterds is a gripping one-of-a-kind experience that younger children should maybe avoid. 

4. Take Out (2004) (Drama/Indie film)

A riveting look into the daily life of a fast-food delivery man in New York, Sean Baker and Shih-Ching Tsou’s Take Out is an incredible, simplistic odyssey of the everyday world that most people are normally oblivious to. Raw, emotional, sharp, witty, and only 90 minutes long. If you can track down a copy of it, I highly recommend checking it out for yourself. 

5. American Psycho (2000) (Horror/Thriller)

While the character Patrick Bateman is the popular subject of Tik Tok edits today, American Psycho remains an excellently crafted and thought-provoking film. Multiple filmmaking techniques were pioneered for this film, creating an original experience unlike any other at the time.